Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

One Act Play- Advice

Addison is a 13 year old girl who attends an exclusive private school. Joe is 20. He is Addison’s older sister’s boyfriend. Joe is driving Addison home from her visit at Stanford, where both Joe and Addison’s sister attend.


(The two stare forward in Joe’s white Volkswagen van, no one is speaking. Addison sits with her hands folded by her lap with a red backpack by her feet.)


Joe: Are you okay kid?


Addison: Ya I guess.


Joe: You look white. Ummm do you need anything?


Addison: A Voss water and some Panera mac and cheese.


Joe: Oh. W- Well I can stop at the gas station if you are hungry.


Addison: No. That’s disgusting.


(The two sit for about 20 more minutes in silence.)


Joe: When do your midterms start for school?


Addison: I don’t know.


Joe: Honestly kid, (Pauses) this ride will be ten times worse if we don’t talk. Talk to me.


Addison: Well what do you want me to talk to you about. You wouldn’t understand my private school problems.


Joe: I may not look too bright, but I do go to Stanford you know. I think I can keep up. What’s going on?

Addison: (takes a deep breath and releases) Fine. I’ll let you try to comprehend my issues. My friend Shauna kissed my boyfriend. And she split her apple juice on my Vineyard Vines Shep shirt! On purpose! I hate her now.


Joe: That sucks (pauses) were you getting along before?


Addison: Well- I mean- ya I guess so.


Joe: You should give her another chance. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.


Addison: (Looks at Joe, surprised)  Why would I do that? She betrayed me!


Joe:  I probably shouldn't tell you this, but, once I got drunk and kissed another girl when I was dating your sister. It was the biggest mistake I have ever made, and I was so lucky she gave me a second chance. Maybe this was Shauna’s biggest mistake.


Addison: What if it wasn’t- what if she does it again?


Joe: Then you can hate her, but for now, try to be friends again.


Addison: Fine, maybe I will. Do you think my boyfriend likes her more than me?


Joe: If he is knows your actual personality, yes.


Addison: (looks away awkwardly)


Joe: Hey- I’m sorry! I was kidding! If he is smart, he will like you better. You seem pretty cool to me.


Addison: Really? My sister should bring you around more often. (Looks away and the silence resumes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment